মঙ্গলবার, ২০ এপ্রিল, ২০১০

My National Identity...

Written: 20 May 2008

ID’s are supposed to be "documents designed to verify aspects of a person's identity" and as Wikipedia goes "Bangladesh has also started a National Biometric ID Card system and is in the process of completing it by 2008". Owning a national ID card here in BD was a thing of pride– a national document bearing my representation on that small card space – a verification of who I am or what I am and a proof of my citizenship. Until - I actually got it in my hands!

If anyone in this wide world could find any similarity between what I am and what I was on that card, it would be a miracle! Every feature that Allah Almighty Has Placed on this face of mine was distorted out of proportion, was bloated like a handball and there it was – my ‘national identity’ – which looked more like Stuart Little rather than this person it was signifying!! Mom had her nose halved and Dad had his chin doubled. My grandfather (or dad’s father) was someone named Rafiquddin. Name, appearance, signature, family tree – if there was anything that could comprehensively misrepresent a citizen in terms of all– this seemed it.

Among some other national initiatives I hail this initiative taken by the government in issuing the cards. However, with more than 60 percent of the population already with their ID’s it would be interesting to find out how many actually are the ones those cards seem to represent. Identity or eligibility verification being the key meaning of this card – how secure am I going to be when I hold it out infront of the verifiers to cross-check with this true citizen? I am still waiting for the reaction.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন